7 Tips for Finding the Right Contractor for Your Home Renovation
How to find a dependable, responsive contractor—above and beyond even price.
COOL! AARRRGH! WHOA! These may express some of the emotions you’re feeling as you explore the many aspects of renovation—house plans, financing, contractors, etc. We’re here to help! The summary below gives seven tips about finding a renovation contractor you know, like, and trust (click here for a longer version of this summary):
- Renovation loans have a limited time frame for project completion. If you were building a new home or paying cash for a renovation, you could spend several months doing the planning and finding a contractor. But with the limited time frame of a financed
renovation project, you need to do the detailed planning, select your contractor, and get written estimates before you close the renovation loan.
- Here are some leading indicators of responsive, dependable contractors you can trust:
- Do they return phone calls promptly?
- Do they show up on time for appointments?
- Do they prepare the paperwork as requested? How much pushback do they give regarding the details the lender requires?
These tips and others will help you avoid common renovation nightmares as you make your dream home a reality! Read more at “18 Tips for Finding a Reliable Home Contractor.”
I'm buying a home that needs repairs or renovation, OR I'm making repairs and renovations on my current house.
- An All-in-One Renovation Loan Can Save You Money Compared to a Purchase-Only Loan!
- Seven Tips for Finding the Right Contractor for Your Home Improvements
- What is the Best Way to Finance Your Home Improvements?
- What Renovations Add the Best Value to Your Home
- Should I Stay or Should I Go?
- Home Renovation (Infographic)